Outlook is a Microsoft tool that allows you to compose, send, and receive emails by connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server. Outlook has various capabilities that make interacting with Microsoft 365 more accessible, including Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. It includes tools for scheduling, viewing, and communicating about appointments and meetings.
According to a survey conducted by Sellcell, Microsoft’s Outlook email software has over 400 million active users. This report shows that Outlook provides a dependable and straightforward platform for users to access their emails on the go, making it a crucial tool for people who need to stay connected while away from their workspace. However, Outlook, like every other program/application, will have the occasional error.
There are various Outlook issues, but send/receive errors are the most common. These issues prevent access to the Outlook program and reduce productivity. These errors can arise for a variety of reasons, including a weak connection, spam messages, antivirus applications, incorrect or outdated email settings in Outlook, and other common mistakes.
Keep reading to know how to fix this send/receive so that you can improve your business productivity.
How to Fix Outlook Send/Receive Errors
Below are a few steps to take on how to fix Outlook send/receive errors:
Sometimes the send/receive error is simply to due a temporary glitch with Outlook’s connection to the email server. Simply try to send/receive again being careful not to make changes to any password box window that might be up. You may find that the issue is resolved. If you accidently hit a key when the password box was up, you may need to re-enter the password to ensure that Outlook is using the correct password to get your email.
Check Internet Connection
The first step in fixing any send/receive problem in Outlook is ensuring your internet connection is reliable. Outlook requires a regular and stable internet connection to work correctly. A poor or inconsistent connection might affect the send/receive operation. Check that you are connected to the internet and can visit other websites or programs to ensure your connection is stable. To determine whether the problem is resolved, restart your router or connect to an alternative network.
Verify Your Email Account Settings
If your internet connection is operating correctly but still experiencing Outlook Send/Receive Error, check your email account settings. Send/Receive Errors in Outlook can be caused by incorrect or outdated email account settings. Take note of the incoming and outgoing server settings, port numbers, and encryption mechanisms. If you have any questions about any of these settings, check out the following points to verify the Outlook Email Settings:
- First, launch Outlook and sign in using your valid email account and password.
- Go to the “File” menu.
- Then, under the “Info” column, select “Account Settings.”
- Click the “Change” tab in the “Account Settings” box.
- Pick “Outgoing Server” from the “More Settings” menu.
- Select the checkbox next to My outgoing server (SMTP). This requires authentication.
- Also, click the option next to Log in to the incoming server before sending the message.
- Now, choose the “OK” tab and then the “Finish” button.
Once done, try sending a message to see if it works.
Check Suspicious Email
Suspicious/spam emails in your inbox may lead to Outlook Send/Receive Error. Therefore, if you detect any questionable spam emails, delete them immediately. After removing the spam email, you can send and receive messages without errors.
Clear the Outlook Cache
Over time, Outlook accumulates a cache of temporary files that can sometimes cause conflicts and errors. Outlook stores a significant amount of data in its cache, which can lead to performance issues. Clearing the Outlook cache can help resolve send/receive errors.
Follow the below steps to clear the Outlook cache:
- Go to the File tab in Outlook.
- Click on Options, then navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Under the Outlook Data File Settings.
- Click on the “Compact Now” button to clear the cache.
Clear Emails Stuck in Outbox Folder
Emails that remain stuck in the Outbox folder may potentially be the cause of Outbox not sending/receiving your emails. As a result, if you have any emails in the outbox folder, delete them immediately. Follow the procedures below:
- Open Outlook, select Send / Receive and then select the Work Offline option.
- Click on the Outbox folder to remove or relocate any emails or messages that have become stuck in the Outbox folder.
- Delete the emails by clicking the Remove button next to them, or transfer them to the Drafts folder.
- Examine the Drafts folder for any vast attachments. Reduce the file size of the attachment and try again.
- To connect to the mailbox server and work online, go to Send / Receive and select the Work Offline option.
Run Outlook in Safe Mode
Running Outlook in Safe mode is the most effective and productive way to fix Outlook send/receive errors. It enables you to run the program with a restricted range of features without loading any add-ins or extensions. This feature aids in the fixing and resolution of problems such as crashing, freezing, and other unusual issues.
Enter Outlook.exe /safe into the search box and click the “Enter” key to launch Outlook in safe mode. After safely launching Outlook, send emails.
Seek Professional Help
Implementing the above troubleshooting procedures will fix your Outlook send/receive errors. However, it may be time to seek professional assistance if all fails. Contact us at Skyline IT Management to seek professional service today.